Join our activity, volunteer with us and learn how to run and maintain an eco-friendly facility and facilitate workshops on sustainable living on the beautiful Elba island in Italy!
You will learn about sustainability and eco-friendly behavior through non-formal education methods while staying on a beautiful island, in Sassi Turchini house, 600m from the beach! You will get to experience different outdoor education activities and learn how to organize a workshop connected to these topics. You will gain significant knowledge about the aspects and rules of sustainable and responsible tourism and sustainable communities, neighborhoods, villages, etc. You will be able to reflect on this knowledge and will be able to apply it in your local communities back home.
In this international volunteering activity you will experience living with the local community that runs the house and helping with the daily tasks connected to the eco-friendly tourism facility and its renovation. These practical activities include cooking, gardening, maintenance of hiking trails, etc. These practical tasks will be combined with learning the basics of Italian language that will help you to communicate with the locals on the island. Besides these activities, you will also participate in community activities, like beach cleaning and other activities in cooperation with the city council.
You will be able to:
- Gain knowledge and experience in outdoor education and non-formal education methods
- Gain skills in eco-friendly living for your personal life and community
- Use the tools and methods of community-building and volunteering projects
- Encourage young people to volunteer and play an active part in their local realities
- Organise a small sustainable eco event at the spot
- Learn some Italian :)
This activity is open for representatives and volunteers 16-30 years old from these countries (either nationality or residency):
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- Republic of North Macedonia
Where and when?
The activity will take place from 23rd of August to 4thof September 2021 in Porto Azzurro on Elba Island, Italy. We will be accommodated in the Naturefriends house Sassi Turchini and among the community members of the local Naturefriends.
The Sassi Turchini project was developed within the AVGE (Volunteer Association of the Elba Group) in Bagno a Ripoli. They have been operating in the Elba area for years, organizing experiences of community life between young and disabled people. The holiday home in Sassi Turchini was founded in 2001.
How much does it cost?
- Free participation
- Food and accommodation are 100% covered
- 100% of the travel costs covered (up to a limit of 275 EUR).
- IYNF expects you to choose the most sustainable way of transportation, e.g. only 2nd/economy class tickets can be reimbursed. For flights and travelling by car prior approval of the Secretariat will be needed.
- Participants are expected to be present at least 80% of the working time. If you are not able to fulfil this condition, please discuss it with the Secretariat prior to your application. Not following this rule might result in IYNF not being able to accept your application.
How to apply?
Please fill in and submit the APPLICATION FORM, until 4th of June 23:59 CET. The selected participants will be informed via email until the 15th of June.
This activity is supported by European Solidarity Corps programme in cooperation with Gian Giò and Sassi Turchini.